Amsterdam has a bustling, cosmopolitan and vibrant feel; it’s a city with a little something for everyone. World famous for its museums and 17th century canals, the city centre is compact and easy to navigate on foot. Our conference venue, the five-star NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky is located in the heart of the city on Dam Square. Numerous tourist attractions are within easy walking distance, including the Royal Palace, Nieuwe Kerk, Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum and Heineken Brewery. Central Station is only five minutes away on foot with frequent trains running to Schiphol Airport. Alternatively, Schiphol Airport is just a 25-minute taxi ride.
For all you first-timers, here are a few tips and insights to help make the most out of your trip to the ACC Europe Amsterdam conference, courtesy of ACC Europe Netherlands representative, Starbucks Coffee EMEA B.V., EMEA legal director, corporate counsel, Axel Viaene:
- When arriving at Schiphol, don’t hop in a taxi, as these are quite expensive. You can go downstairs and take a train to Amsterdam Central Station. The ticket price is nominal, and the Krasnapolsky hotel is a mere 10-minute walk from the station.
- If you are into 17th century urban planning, make sure to go and explore the canals (called “Grachten”) during your free time. They are situated walking distance from the hotel. Bring an umbrella and comfortable walking shoes.
- If you are really adventurous, you can rent a bike and explore the city. The concierge can point you in the right direction.
- It is really easy to ask for directions in Amsterdam, as pretty much everyone speaks English.
- The Anne Frank house is just a short walk from the Hotel and is definitely worth a visit. Beware of long queues, though.
- If your family instructed you to go souvenir shopping, you’re in luck, as there are tons of little souvenir shops around selling trinkets in great abundance! However, as a side note, you are better off buying these in the city center than at the airport.
Zie je in Amsterdam!